Oh comfort food. You are so…comforting.
If you love Chicken Pot Pie, you will love this Hamburger Pot Pie. I actually think I like this one even better. (No surprise there. I’m a beef-loving girl.) Pin this recipe so you can use it to keep yourself warm all winter long.
For the record, if you need to eat gluten free – or if you’re like me and you’re more into meat and veggies than bread – you can skip the topping on this and just eat it in a bowl like Hamburger Soup.
Hamburger Pot Pie
- 1 pound hamburger meat
- 1 small chopped onion
- 6 cups beef broth
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup cold water
- 2 Tablespoons organic corn starch, arrowroot powder, or wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I use Hain Safflower Mayonnaise)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground flour from hard white wheat)
- In a large cooking pot, brown hamburger and onion together.
- Stir in broth and prepared veggies.
- Cook until veggies are tender.
- Mix cornstarch with water until smooth. Stir mixture into the broth/veggies, cooking for about one minute on the stove to help the mixture thicken.
- Pour contents into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, stir together milk, mayo, and flour.
- Spread mixture over the veggies in the baking dish.
- Bake in a 350° oven for about 45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
To save money and add nourishment, I recommend making your own broth for recipes like this one. Here’s How to Make Beef Broth. While we’re at it, here’s How to Make Chicken Broth. :)