I realize that some of you won’t be interested in reading about our curriculum choices for this year, but since I continually receive emails from gals asking about what books we like to use in our home school, I’m going to go ahead and share our list. If looking at our book list isn’t exciting to you, perhaps you would like to take a look at our Death By Chocolate recipe? Or maybe many of you will be interested in both? Because chocolate and books – aren’t those just two of the finest creations on the planet?
Once I finally got all of our books organized, I decided to take a picture of our shelf. Enjoy it now – that shelf won’t look so organized after we start digging in. But we can pretend that it stays pretty like this. ;)
The top shelf is Asa’s (grade 9), the middle shelf belongs to Justus and Elias (grades 6 and 4) and the bottom shelf is Malachi’s (grade 1).
We’ve been schooling with Sonlight curriculum for all nine of our home schooling years – yes this begins our tenth! We love that Sonlight is literature based and that we are able to explore and learn without using textbooks. Instead, we read both fiction and non-fiction books as we work our way through History, Science, Geography and Bible. In addition, we choose what Sonlight recommends for Readers (kids reading on their own) as well as Read-Alouds (parents reading to the kids).
Here is a breakdown of our curriculum for this year:
Asa (grade 9)
- Sonlight is literature based, in which we will study Church History (I’m so excited!!!) and read through many literature classics. Shakespeare, Austen, C.S. Lewis – it’s gonna be a great year!
- Apologia Physical Science
- Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1
- Analogies 2
- Vocabulary from Classical Roots A
- Spanish (still haven’t decided – Rosetta Stone maybe?)
- Spelling Power
Justus (grade 6) and Elias (grade 4)
- Sonlight Core F, in which we will study the Eastern Hemisphere and read about many other cultures and missionaries who have lived among these cultures.
- Reading – Sonlight book lists for grades 4-5 and Readers D
- Science – using multiple science books from Sonlight, as well as others we have on hand, mainly to study animals
- Wordly Wise (book 3 for Elias and book 5 for Justus)
- Sequential Spelling
- Teaching Textbooks 6 for Justus; Saxon 54 Math for Elias
- Getty Dubay Italic Handwriting (grade 6 for J; grade 4 for E)
- Learn to Cook
Malachi (grade 1)
- Some of Sonlight Core B, intro to World History
- Science with Justus and Elias, on a lesser scale, to learn about animals
- Reading – Bob Books and other easy readers
- Getty Dubay Italic Handwriting grade 1
- Miquon Math Red Book
- Explode the Code Books 1-3
- Teaching Your Kids to Cook
Next, I’ll share about our home school schedule for this year – stay tuned!
I’d love to know what your kids will be studying this year (whether you home school or not!). Also, I need to know which you like better: Books or Chocolate?
I know, that is hardly a fair question. (And yes, your answer can be “chocolate with a side of books”).