Now’s the time to start making Vanilla Extract for Christmas gifts!
Christmas in July is fun. :) Start a batch of homemade vanilla extract now and it will be ready just in time to bottle up and give as gifts this December!
Bottles of homemade vanilla are extremely awesome gifts! However, you need to start making it now because it takes 4-6 months for a big batch of vanilla to be strong and delicious.
How do you make vanilla extract?
It’s actually super easy, though the result will make you feel like you’ve made something gourmet! People love receiving this as a gift.
Find a thorough tutorial here to learn the specifics about making homemade vanilla. Or, if you’re feeling comfortable, simply follow this easy recipe:
How to Make Vanilla Extract
- 1.75 liters of inexpensive vodka
- 25 Vanilla Beans enter code HOME for a 15% discount on Vanilla Beans through Olive Nation!!
- Slice through each bean lengthwise, leaving about one inch at the top of each bean uncut so that it stays together.
- Place all of your cut Vanilla Beans into a half-gallon jar.
- Fill the jar with vodka.
- Secure the lid and put the jar in a dark place (like in the back of a cabinet).
- Allow it to sit and "extract" for 4-6 months.
- Every few weeks during extracting time, shake the jar to mix it up a bit.
Once your vanilla as finished extracting 4-6 months from now:
Where to buy vanilla beans:
I always buy my vanilla beans from Olive Nation. I’ve tried other sources to “save money” but instead ended up wasting money because the quality of the beans from cheap sources was terrible!
Olive Nation beans are so, so good. I’ve used their beans for years. They love working with us here at Heavenly Homemakers so they offer us 15% off when we use the coupon code: home. Plus we get free shipping on orders over $50!
To make 1/2 gallon of Homemade Vanilla Extract you need:
- 25 vanilla beans = $91 after coupon code HOME
- Shipping = FREE on orders over $50
- 1.75 liter bottle of vodka = Approximately $11
Your total cost for 1/2 gallon of homemade vanilla extract will be about $102. This breaks down to $1.59/ounces which makes 4-ounces of vanilla cost $6.36
You can save your beans after you make a batch of vanilla and reuse them to make a second batch!!
I put my used beans into a lesser amount of vodka to get more bang for my buck. So for instance, for the first round, I use 25 beans in 1.75 liters of vodka. Then for the second round, I use the same 25 beans soaked in half that amount of vodka (.88 liters). The result is still amazing and I just spent a few dollars for a quart of great vanilla extract!
- Read this post to learn how to finish and strain your vanilla after 4-6 months.
- You can purchase dark amber bottles here.
- Order personalized vanilla stickers for bottles and gifts here.
- Get your beans here, and use the code HOME to get 15% off!
Go get your beans!
And yeah, go get your vodka. :) :) :)
Make yourself a delicious batch of vanilla extract and get ready for Christmas!