If you’re new to HeavenlyHomemakers and want to know more about our homeschooling…read about our curriculum choice here, the books we’ll be using this year here and our budget here.
Here is our current schooling schedule, subject daily to being changed and rearranged and shifted and completely messed up:
- Bible reading time during breakfast
- M/W – United States Geography Portfolios; T/Th – Science Units (all together)
- History (all together) (boys play with legos or something else similar while I read)
- Asa – Math at computer; Justus and Elias – Handwriting, Spelling and Phonics
- Ten minute break
- Justus and Elias – Math; Asa – Spelling and Language Arts
- Boys finish up work and take turns at computer using Typing Instructor program (I work on lunch)
- Lunchtime – I read our latest “Read-Aloud” book while boys eat
- M/W – Journal writing; T/Th – Proverbs study
- Reading – boys cozy up on couches and read independently
Now the big question: What does Malachi do during all of this?
Why, he sits quietly and colors pictures of course.
Yeah, right. Rarely do any of my children ever sit quietly and color pictures.
Malachi is four and a half and actually does a pretty good job now just playing quietly on his own while I’m reading to the boys during History and Science and Geography. (He LOVES Legos.) He often joins us for science if we’re doing something fun…or plays USA Bingo with us during Geography. Otherwise, he just plays.
As far as his own personal school work goes…maybe when I am completely finished with canning and preserving…and soccer season is over…I can get a little bit of Pre-K time in with him. He’s obviously not suffering because of neglect. He is amazing us with how he can spell words and write letters and even answer History questions!
I know many of you want to know how I schooled the boys when they were all littler…and how I handled school when some of them were babies. And, you want to know what I suggest you do with your little guys while you’re schooling your older ones. SUCH good questions. I’m thinking through those questions and will write a post soon to answer them.
In the meantime…while writing THIS post…I was just feeling like it would be easier to explain how we homeschool and how our day goes if you could all just COME OVER and watch. But since my living room just isn’t that big…and you know…some of you live across the ocean from me…I decided that someday next week I’ll take bunches of pictures throughout the day and do a “Day in the Life” post or something like that.
How does that sound?