Let me just say that it’s hard (for me) to take a good picture of hashbrowns while they are steaming on a griddle.
Below is a picture of the original recipe for these hashbrowns. I worked a little harder, added a few extra ingredients, and made them into Cheesy Cauliflower Cakes. My family loves them and the recipe makes us actually like cauliflower.
This is all well and good, except that:
- the cakes don’t always stay together
- they have bread crumbs in them which I don’t always have available
- the bread crumbs mean I can’t serve them to anyone who can’t have gluten
- making them into cakes is one more step in the cooking process
I act like that’s a huge ordeal. It’s not. But I wanted you to know that you can cut out a few ingredients (eggs and bread crumbs), then pour the entire mixture onto a griddle or skillet and fry them like hashbrowns. They taste the same if you ask me, and they are easier!
Cheesy Cauliflower Hashbrowns
- 1 head cauliflower
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar or Colby jack cheese
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Palm shortening or expeller pressed coconut oil for frying
- Cut cauliflower into florets.
- Steam for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Mash with a potato masher. (I found that this created what looked like shredded potatoes.)
- Stir in shredded cheese, minced onions, and salt until well combined.
- Melt 1-2 Tablespoons of palm shortening or coconut oil in a skillet or on a griddle.
- Pour cauliflower mixture into hot oil.
- Fry over medium heat until brown and crispy – about 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve right away.
Yesterday when we made these Cheesy Cauliflower Hashbrowns, I served them with cantaloupe, peas, blueberry muffins, and fried turkey sausages. It’s was a super easy – fruit and veggie packed meal. (I keep finding coupons for Oscar Mayer preservative-free, uncured turkey sausage. We’re loving it for quick additions to our meals!)