Perhaps you have become great friends with the infamous Whole Grain Raspberry Cheesecake Bars? If not, you must. And now, you must also get to know our new friend, the Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars. Where has this friend been your whole life?
But speaking of whole, it is fantastic to know that these bars are made with whole grains. But no one, not even the boxed poptart lovers out there, will realize that these are packed with delightful nutrition. I know this because I fed a batch to a bunch of teenage boys who were visiting our home and who had just polished off a box of poptarts they had brought over. The next morning, I presented them with these bars.
Perhaps it was the added chocolate chips that made these so inviting. Well yeah, of course it was the chocolate chips. Still, they gobbled these down with a pitcher of iced coffee and some fruit, thanking me for the great breakfast like the sweet boys that they are.
It’s so fun to make treats like this that provide nourishment while still being “not weird.” You cannot go wrong with the words “chocolate chips” and “cheesecake bars” in the same title, am I right?
So get yourself some oats (which you probably already have), some chocolate chips (which you probably already have), some whole wheat flour (which you probably already have), and some cream cheese and some butter (please tell me you keep a lifetime supply of these golden ingredients on hand at all times). You will love these delightful Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars!
Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground soft white wheat)
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup sucanat or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup melted butter
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- CHEESECAKE LAYER:
- 8-ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix together flour, oats, sucanat, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in melted butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Press half of the mixture into an 8x8 inch baking pan.
- In a blender or with beaters, whip together cream cheese, egg, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Spread this cheesecake layer over the top of the oat layer.
- Sprinkle ½ of the chocolate chips over the cheesecake layer.
- Drop spoonfuls of remaining oat mixture on top of the cheesecake layer, then sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.