Today let’s talk about using Chicken or Beef Broth instead of water when cooking!
Around these parts, I am a little bit famous for making all the people drink water.
- Not feeling well? Go drink water.
- Feeling run down? Go drink water.
- Cramping up? Go drink water.
- Can’t lose weight? Go drink water.
- Don’t feel like doing an Algebra lesson? Go drink water. (And then go do your Algebra.)
- Feeling bored or unmotivated? Go drink water.
- Haven’t had any water yet today? For the love, go drink water.
Little sips, here and there, all day long. Go drink the water.
I preach this to my family, to all the college students in and out of my house, to all the dear ones I’m reaching out to in our community, to everyone who has a complaint. It’s a simple start to anything that needs fixing.
I say it so often that people tease me about it when something happens – like when my shoe comes untied at a soccer game. “Well, Laura. It looks like you need to drink some water.” Touche.
Drinking water is necessary and vital and crucial (my thesaurus and I could go on and on). Our health depends on it.
But do you know what is even better than water? Bone Broth. Indeed.
Bone broth is made with water, but also with vegetables and sea salt. Vitamins and minerals AND water? Yes. And also gelatin from the bones, which is awesome for our skin, teeth, bones, digestive system, and more.
Use Broth Instead of Water
I say all of this to encourage us – if possible – to use broth instead of water while we are cooking meals for our families.
- Cook rice in broth instead of water.
- Cook pasta in broth instead of water.
- Cook potatoes in broth instead of water.
- Steam vegetables in broth instead of water.
- Drink broth instead of water. (And then go do your Algebra.)
Not only will we enjoy many more nutrients when using broth instead of water, but we will also be enjoying an incredible boost in flavor. Rice cooked in broth is incredible! Veggies steamed in broth are many notches above.
Make the broth. Or buy the broth. (I do both. I buy broth to have on hand in a pinch so I can use it often. I make broth as much as possible so I can be ensured of maximum nutrition and flavor!)
How to Make Super Nutritious Bone Broth
- How I make Chicken Broth
- How I make Beef Broth
- Where to buy a case of broth to have on hand. (Truly, there is nothing better than homemade broth. But I do order these cases from Amazon. I also like to pick some up when I have a chance to shop at Aldi.)
Confession: Lately I’ve been making pot after pot of Beef Broth instead of Chicken Broth. Why? Because it’s much faster BECAUSE THERE ARE NO CHICKENS TO BONE!!! Taking meat off chickens is not my favorite job. You already know this about me. So instead, I almost always make broth with Beef Soup Bones. Then the meat falls off the bones and my job is done. Amen, hallelujah.
My latest broth-making-thrill is that I’ve started making it in my Instant Pot. Boy does that save time! How to Make Broth in the Instant Pot…post coming next!
Some of these links are my affiliate links.