Cream Cheese Pastries were one of my favorite treats when I was a kid. I finally got the idea to try and make them at home with freshly ground flour!
Have I ever told you how I like to keep recipes as simple as possible? Oh yes. I think I’ve mentioned that here a time or two. ;)
So that is why I decided to make these with my Stir-and-Pour Bread recipe. SO EASY! Mix the bread ingredients together. Walk away. Then you spoon the bread dough onto a pan, scoop on some cream cheese filling, and bake. Drizzle on the glaze. Enjoy your delicious treat!
I was thrilled with how these turned out, and I love that they are made with whole grain flour and less sugar than a typical pastry recipe. My pickiest eater ate three right in a row. :) Ready to give them a try?
Cream Cheese Pastries
- 4 cups whole grain flour (I use freshly ground hard white wheat)
- 2 teaspoons active rise yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sucanat or sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg (optional)
- ¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
- 2 cups warm water
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 8-ounces softened cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar or maple syrup
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- Mix together the bread ingredients.
- Cover and allow the bread dough to rise for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend Cream Cheese Filling ingredients until smooth.
- Scoop small mounds of bread dough onto a buttered cookie sheet.
- Spoon the cream cheese filling onto each bread dough mound evenly.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- Meanwhile mix up the glaze.
- Drizzle glaze over the baked pastries and serve.
One more quick piece of info:
I finally invested in a Bosch Stand Mixer. I can’t even tell you how much I love it! I used it to mix the dough for these Cream Cheese Pastries so of course, that made this recipe even easier to make, if that’s even possible. More about my Bosch coming up soon!
Leave a Reply