Our Homemade Chewy Granola Bars recipe has been one of our most popular ever since I originally posted way back in 2010! So I decided it was time to bring it back, update it, and put it back on your radar as we all enjoy a new school year.
The beauty of this recipe – besides the fact that it uses only real food ingredients and NO corn syrup – is that you can add any of your family’s favorite ingredients. Leave out anything your family doesn’t like, add what they love! I love versatile recipes like this!
Homemade Chewy Granola Bars
- ½ cup peanut butter, almond butter, or sunbutter
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil (or another oil of your choice)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup total of any combination of: sesame seeds, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, mini chocolate chips
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt together peanut butter, honey and coconut oil.
- Remove from heat and add one cup of oats.
- Choose your favorite combination of coconut flakes, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, dried fruit and mini chocolate chips, to equal a total of ONE CUP. (I just got out my one cup measuring cup and poured in the ingredients until the cup was full.)
- Pour in and stir well.
- Spread mixture into a 8x8 or 9x4 pan.
- Chill for two hours, then cut into bars.
We often bag these individually to take on the go. I usually make them with whatever we have on hand, but I always have chocolate chips on hand, so it is a given that I always add them to these granola bars. Is there really any other way? (Well sure. Another way is to skip the chocolate chips and instead add chocolate chunks. I am nothing if not flexible.)
What are your favorite Granola Bar add-ins?