How can I encourage you today to read your Bible?
I didn’t used to love it. I didn’t used to crave it. I didn’t used to read my Bible regularly.
It was okay though. I mean, I went to church three times each week. I prayed. I taught my kids about Jesus. I served a bunch of people and made a lot of casseroles for funerals and new moms. I was really nice to everyone.
So I was doing a lot of good things and caring for people. THIS TRULY WAS ALL GOOD.
- I was anxious all the time.
- I always worried about what people thought about me.
- I frequently replayed conversations I’d had with people, wishing I’d said things better or differently.
- I worried constantly that I wasn’t doing enough.
- I tried really, really hard to be a perfect mom, a perfect wife, and a perfect friend.
- But I couldn’t. So I dug deeper and tried harder…
I was not ok.
I realize now that this is in big part to the fact that I hadn’t truly gotten to know Jesus. That I hadn’t yet realized how I needed to let the Holy Spirit work in me fully.
Hitting a pit of depression broke me. After all, one can only try and try and try to do all the right things, and fail and fail and fail over and over for so long before she hits that pit. Not reaching perfection and working so hard to please all the people and never fully living for Truth – that’ll send a person south.
So there I was. I was not ok. For the first time ever (I was 39 at the time) I finally got out my Bible to read it as if my life depended on it.
Today Seems Like a Good Day to Read Your Bible…
As it turns out, my life does depend on it. So does yours.
- Knowing Bible stories and having some verses memorize is not enough.
- Going to church regularly is not enough.
- Praying daily is not enough.
- Listening to Christian music and hanging out with Christian people is not enough.
- Listening to Christian podcasters is not enough.
All of these are huge blessings on our Christian walk. But I have learned from experience that if I am doing all of those things but not spending personal time with Jesus in the Word, I am not at peace.
The only way to really get to know Jesus and His will for your life is to:
- Read your Bible.
- Meditate on its Truth.
- Then talk to God about it.
- Listen to what He’s teaching you. (Write down what He’s telling you if that benefits you.)
- Breathe in His truth all day long, based on what you read in His word – His beautiful messages to you.
- Learn to let the Holy Spirit guide every minute of your day.
It isn’t enough to do good and to try harder. Trust me on this – I’m the one who tried real hard to do real good. I finally recognize how desperately I need Jesus. To be a wife. To be a mom. To be a friend. To be a neighbor. To be a human being walking on this earth.
Open your Bible and let His Word speak to you. Ask God for an open heart to hear Him as you never have before. He is faithful and He will give it.
Let His Word become Life for you.
Now, close your phone or computer and go read your Bible. Ready…go!