Chocolate Mint Soother – one of life’s best comfort foods.
My friend Emily is always full of good ideas. She’s often sending me fun links, or sharing her creative inspiration with me while we visit after church. Last week, Emily did it again. Since I’d recently shared about my Warm Vanilla Soother and Warm Chocolate Soother recipes, she suggested, why not adding some mint extract to those?
After reading that comment, I think it may have taken me a grand total of five minutes to go into the kitchen and try out this idea. (Good thing she didn’t share this idea with me in the church foyer – I may have left Emily standing alone and driven home without my family.)
This recipe is just like the Warm Chocolate Soother recipe, except that you add peppermint extract instead of vanilla. Sounds like we’re coming up with some great ideas for using our peppermint extract, aren’t we? :)
Chocolate Mint Soother
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons sucanat
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder or corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, egg yolks, maple syrup, sucanat, cocoa and arrowroot powder.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly (I use a whisk) until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add butter and peppermint extract.
- Stir until creamy.
- Pour into mugs and serve warm.
Aren’t you glad I have such smart friends? :)
If you like this, you might also enjoy:
Make them all and see which is your favorite! These drinks are filling and comforting, not to mention delicious. They are a perfect way to warm up on a chilly day!
If you put the leftovers into the fridge, this drink turns into a tasty pudding. It’s a win-win!