I’d almost always say “chocolate” and yet…depending on the day, the occasion or the item…I may want vanilla. I’d say just about nothing beats this Warm Vanilla Soother.
And yet, last week the boys asked if I could try making my Warm Vanilla Soother into a Warm Chocolate Soother, just for fun. The kids thought it sounded yummy and hey, who am I to argue when it comes to making something chocolatey?
This recipe is almost exactly like Warm Vanilla Soother…just a couple of ingredients added.
Warm Chocolate Soother
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar or sucanat
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder or corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, egg yolks, maple syrup, sucanat, cocoa and arrowroot powder.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly (I use a whisk) until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Stir until creamy.
- Pour into mugs and serve warm.
Once this finally cooled down enough to drink, my eight year old proclaimed, “Mom!! It tastes just like you’re drinking a brownie!”
For real?! Drinking a brownie? I want to drink a brownie!!!
Mmmm, he was right!
This has the appearance of hot cocoa, but it’s thicker and heartier. Oh. My.
So chocolate…or vanilla? That is still the question.
Maybe we’ll assign days to flavors.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday and every other Sunday will be Warm Chocolate Soother days. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and every other Sunday will be Warm Vanilla Soother days.
Unless I have a hankering for vanilla on a Friday or feel a deep need for chocolate on a Tuesday, which I very well may. I’ll have to be flexible and leave the options open.
Let’s see, today is Tuesday. Which one are you gonna make?