If you love chocolate, and you love pumpkin spice, then you are going to love, love this Chocolate Pumpkin Cake!
I love any treat that includes ingredients healthy enough for us to serve for breakfast.
What? Cake for breakfast? Oh yes. All year long. And since this one includes pumpkin, it’s a step above. #veggiecake
Of course, the pumpkin in this recipe makes it super moist. And the chocolate in this recipe? Well, that makes it chocolate. Need I say more?
You’ll love that this cake is topped with a thin layer of Honey-Sweetened Chocolate Frosting. Sigh…while I sure do love summer best, NOTHING can beat fall baking!!
Enjoy this fun video we put together, sharing how to make this cake!
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake Recipe
- 1 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup sucanat
- dash of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sucanat, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Set aside. In a saucepan, bring oil, water, and cocoa to a boil.
- Pour liquid mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredient mixture.
- Stir well.
- Add pumpkin puree and eggs, mixing well.
- Pour batter into a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
Low Sugar Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup butter
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons milk
2-4 Tablespoons honey (sweeten this to your taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a small saucepan combine butter, cocoa, milk, and honey. Cook and stir over low heat until ingredients are well combined and mixture begins to thicken slightly. Removed from heat. Stir in vanilla. Spread over cooled cake.
Do you love fall baking like I do? Will you be eating this cake for breakfast? :)