As you all know, I love tweaking recipes and working to create a healthier version of recipes I find. Thanksgiving and Christmas time give me plenty of excuses to exercise this crazy hobby of mine. Nobody around me seems to mind. :) (Hehe, funny that I used the word exercise…talking about baking cookies! Hey, exercise comes in many forms.)
My favorite part of holiday baking: I LOVE THE WAY CHRISTMAS BAKING MAKES THE HOUSE SMELL!!!
I’m planning on baking up quite a few treats in the next few weeks to share with neighbors and friends…so be looking for several new recipes coming up here!!!
The first recipe I’ll share is one that smells just like Christmas!! MMMmmm!!
Christmas Spice Cookies
- 1 cup melted butter
- ½ cup sucanat or brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 2¼ cups whole wheat flour
- Stir together melted butter and sucanat.
- Mix in egg, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, nutmeg and cloves.
- Add flour gradually until mixed thoroughly.
- Chill dough at least 2 hours.
- Roll dough into teaspoon sized balls. Place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake at 350°for 10-12 minutes.
These cookies are soooo yummy with a cup of hot cocoa!!! (If you haven’t tried this hot cocoa recipe, you really, really should!)
Upcoming cookie recipe: Orange Cream Cheese Cut-Outs!! Possibly my favorite!
P.S. Don’t fall out of your chair, but some of the recipes I’ll share might contain some compromising ingredients like powdered sugar and (gasp!) sprinkles. What’s Christmas without an occasional red and green sprinkle??
So, what are your favorite kinds of Christmas cookies??!!