I am often asked what groceries I buy and where I buy them. Obviously we do not all have the same grocery store options because we all live on different parts of the globe! (And how fun is it that we all connect here in one community!)
I decided to write a small series of posts to share what groceries I purchase from each of my favorite stores – either online, co-op, or from an brick and mortar grocery store where I actually have to wear clothes and shoes to do my shopping. Not that I shop online without clothes on. I think that might have come out wrong. Well, anyway…
First stop: Aldi
We live just over an hour away from the nearest Aldi. We live ten minutes from Aldi now!! It doesn’t make sense for me to drive there often, even though I love many of the groceries they offer! I make it there only once every three months now, and as you can imagine, I stock up on my favorites while I’m there!
I’ve definitely found that not all of the food Aldi offers is of the highest quality. But they do carry many real food items that I trust, so I skip their processed junk food aisles and grab their good food options for great prices!
Real Food Groceries I Buy At Aldi
- Simply Nature Organic Salsa – We go through loads of salsa at our house!
- Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (knock off) – So I can always and forever make this Real Food “Velveeta” and Rotel Dip. :)
- Simply Nature Organic Black Beans
- Simply Nature Pasta Sauce
- Cream Cheese – They carry this for the best price I’ve seen and their brand tastes as good as the name brand.
- Half and Half and Heavy Whipping Cream
- Salad Kits – so that we can have easy meals like this.
- Full Fat Yogurt – I’ve been very happy to find Whole Milk Yogurt options at Aldi. We like to eat it with granola for breakfast, so I usually buy a few containers each time I’m there.
- Whole Milk – Now that we don’t live close to the farm that used to supply our milk, I pick up several gallons at Aldi each time I go. I miss farm milk!
Real Food Groceries I Buy at Aldi…sometimes
- Granola – we like to eat this in our yogurt
- Meat – I always check to see what meat is on sale when I’m there and I snatch up whatever I need that is within my price point.
- Bagels – My kid loved toasted and buttered bagels, and they are the least expensive at Aldi compared to anywhere else I’ve seen so far.
- Brown Sugar – I keep brown sugar on hand at home for baking (since it’s cheaper than sucanat and as far as our bodies are concerned, sugar is sugar!). Aldi almost always has the lowest price.
- A special treat to take home to the kids – Sometimes I’ll grab a pouch of granola, coffee creamer, or another special feature item that I know my kids will like.