So, it takes three easy steps to make this Blueberry Shortcake with Cream Topping? It’s worth it!
Usually, I’m a “mix it together and throw it into the oven” kind of treat maker. But in the case of this case, we are making an exception and writing a recipe that takes three steps. THREE. What in the world?
Don’t worry. This is still an easy recipe. I’ll write it all out in the simplest of forms. And you really will see that it’s worth every bit of “effort!”
Blueberry Shortcake with Cream Topping
- 2⅔ cups flour (I use freshly ground whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup honey or 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup oil (I use coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- Mix ingredients well.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (While it's baking, prepare the blueberry topping.)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- While the shortcake is baking, place blueberries and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Cook and stir, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes until blueberry syrup has formed.
- When the shortcake has finished baking, remove it from the oven and poke holes in the top with a toothpick.
- Pour warm blueberry topping over the cake while it is still warm.
- Allow cake to cool completely before adding Cream Topping.
Cream Cheese Topping
- 16-ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons sugar, maple syrup, or honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whip all ingredients together with a hand mixer or in a high power blender until it is thick and smooth.
- Spread topping over cooled cake.