There are a few secrets to making this Chocolate Banana Bread turn out fabulously. First, be sure to add sour cream or yogurt to the recipe. I’ve been doing this for years with my muffins, but for some reason, it took me a while to realize I should add this ingredient to my Banana Breads. One of my brilliant sisters-in-law reminded me of this need, which is a game changer for Banana Bread for all time! Add sour cream or yogurt = No more dry Banana Bread!
Next, I have learned that not all chocolate is created equal. Sure, you can use any ol’ unsweetened cocoa powder. But do yourself a favor and order any of the Unsweetened Cocoa Powders from Olive Nation. (And use the code home to get 20% off!) I can’t tell you what a wonderful difference these cocoa powders have made in my chocolate recipes. The quality is MUCH better, and they do not cost more than I was spending on the lesser varieties. Rock on!
Now go grab your blackened bananas and your cocoa powder and make yourself this delightful bread!
Easy Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground soft white wheat)
- ⅓ cup sugar, brown sugar, or sucanat
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup mashed over-ripe bananas (about 2-3 bananas)
- ½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or butter
- 2 eggs
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add mashed bananas, oil, sour cream and eggs.
- Stir until ingredients are well combined.
- Pour mixture into a buttered bread pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Some of these links are my affiliate links.