I sort of shared this “recipe” back in 2010 when I first posted my Homemade French Dressing recipe. Since then I’ve had several people tell me that they’d prefer me to write out an actual recipe. It’s only taken me 6 years to do it. Therefore, if you have any requests, ask now. First come, first served – I shall answer your requests by 2022.
I hope I’m kidding.
A key player in this salad is the French Dressing. I used to toss this with bottled Catalina Dressing, but the homemade variety is easy and better for us. If I don’t happen to have time to make the French Dressing, we just dump in a little salsa. It changes the taste of this salad, but it’s still a great meal!
I shall now attempt to write down measurable quantities of salad fixin’s to provide an actual Taco Salad recipe. If in fact you don’t follow this recipe precisely, you will still turn out a fabulous Taco Salad. For that matter, since everyone in my family has specific preferences (some like tomatoes, some don’t; some like beans, some don’t) I often lay out all the salad makings and let everyone build their own bowl however they like!
Easy Taco Salad
- 1 pound hamburger
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 head lettuce, any variety (we prefer red leaf, green leaf or romaine)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Colby jack cheese
- 15 ounces (or 2 cups) of pinto, chili, or black beans
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1-2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup French Dressing (give or take)
- Brown hamburger meat and season with taco seasoning mix (recipe link below)
- Chop or tear lettuce into a large serving bowl.
- Add cooked meat (cooled), shredded cheese, beans, tomatoes, and chips.
- Toss with French Dressing.
Other fun Taco Salad toss-in options are:
- Black olives
I recommend making this Taco Seasoning Mix to have on hand for recipes like this. Easy and delicious!
We will likely enjoy this Taco Salad every week until the end of summer. How about you? Are you a Taco Salad fan?