Let us not miss the irony of the timing of this post. As you know, I currently have no oven. As great as this Stir-and-Pour Chocolate Swirl Bread recipe is, I cannot bake any right now. I made this last week before my oven died and I’m just now getting around to posting about it.
You though. You probably all have ovens. On behalf of my oven-less self, won’t you please bake this bread for your family? It would make me so happy. (My request is not completely selfish. It should also make you happy. Because chocolate. And homemade bread.)
Side note: I made some measurement adjustments and tried the regular Stir-and-Pour Bread recipe in my crock pot yesterday. I figured if it works to bake quick bread in a crock pot, I could try making a yeast bread. It turned out….not great. I’m determined though. I’m gonna keep tweaking and try again. In the meantime, feel free to make fun of this way too crusty on the outside, weirdly chewy in the middle attempt at crock pot bread…
But moving on to share how to bake this Stir-and-Pour Chocolate Swirl Bread in an actual oven. This is made in a similar way to the Stir-and-Pour Cinnamon Swirl Bread. Seeing as we don’t have to knead this bread (hallelujah!) it’s a bit hard to actually roll this out and make lovely swirls. I simply layered this bread. I put one-third of the dough into the pan, then spread on 1/2 of the chocolate layer. Then I spread in another third of the bread dough, and spread on the remaining half of the chocolate. Finish by spreading on the last of the bread dough. Bake. Slice. Eat. Appreciate the fact that you have an oven. Amen.
Stir-and-Pour Chocolate Swirl Bread
- 4 cups whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground hard white wheat)
- 2 teaspoons active rise yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sucanat or sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons milk or water
- Stir together flour, yeast, sucanat, salt, and water.
- Cover and allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, cook and stir together the honey, cocoa, and water until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour ? of the mixture into a well-buttered loaf pan.
- Spread ½ of the chocolate mixture over the dough.
- Spread another ? of the dough over the chocolate layer.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ of the chocolate mixture over the dough.
- Spread remaining dough over the top.
- Bake in a 350° for 50-60 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Allow it to sit in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Remove the loaf to let it cool completely before slicing.
Other Stir-and-Pour Bread variations include:
- Stir-and-Pour Sandwich Bread recipe.
- Stir-and-Pour Rolls
- Stir-and-Pour Pizza Crust
- Stir-and-Pour Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Raise your hand if you love this Stir-and-Pour Bread and all the greatness it offers!!