Allow me to introduce a new seasonal favorite: Easy Low Sugar Pumpkin Spice Roll-Out Cookies.
While I’ve shared that I just can’t get behind Pumpkin Spice Coffee (typing it actually makes me shudder just a little bit), I most certainly enjoy making many Pumpkin Spice treats this time of year – to eat while I drink my (plain, non-pumpkin-spice) coffee. If my house smells of nothing but Pumpkin Spice from now until Christmas, there will be much joy in the holiday season.
Of course, seeing as I live with a houseful of teenage boys, my house not only smells of Pumpkin Spice, it also frequently smells like Old Spice. And old shoes. Annnnnd cute girls.
It’s an interesting combination, you can be sure. One that I am so very blessed to experience. What a great God we serve!
Do you see His goodness all around you? Even in the midst of struggle? Even throughout the daily grind? Even during times of hardship and devastation?
I love God. All that He offers is good, and all good comes from Him. I am continually in awe of how He provides for our spiritual needs, which makes all else fade.
What does this have to do with Pumpkin Spice Cookies? Ha. I don’t know. Lately I find myself working my way through all the day-to-day of life, which includes this houseful of teenage boys (and the cute girls that stop by) and in the midst of the cookies and the shoes and the vacuuming and the piles of mail, I sit in wonder at the peace God is revealing to me though His Spirit.
And in the Pumpkin Spice Cookie – well – there is joy. Especially when there is a great cup of coffee (sans Pumpkin Spice) to go with it.
Easy Low Sugar Pumpkin Spice Roll-Out Cookies
- 1 cup melted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar or sucanat
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Spice*
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground soft white wheat)
- Cream together melted butter and sugar.
- Add egg, vanilla, pumpkin spice, and sea salt.
- Stir in flour until well combined.
- Cover and chill dough for 1-2 hours.
- Roll dough to approximately ¼ inch thickness between layers of parchment paper or on a well-floured surface.
- Cut rolled dough with cookie cutter shapes and place cut-outs on a baking sheet, ½ inch apart.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 7-10 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.
I’d love to hear about the joy of the Lord you are experiencing right now. Struggling to see His goodness? Look around at what you have, and I’m not talking about your stuff. See His goodness in the details of your life. In joy, in pain, in suffering – God is good. His mercies are new every morning.
And sometimes, they take on the form of a Pumpkin Spice Cookie dunked in coffee.