This recipe is so easy I’m not sure why we haven’t been making this for years and years. Not to spoil the punch-line, but it is a fact that we can make Whole Grain Chocolate Pancakes simply by whisking some unsweetened cocoa powder into our pancake batter. Yup, it’s that easy!
I’ve always loved fresh berries and whipped cream on my pancakes, but on Chocolate Pancakes? Be still my heart.
Or on another day, I might spread homemade peanut butter over my chocolate pancake for a fabulous chocolate peanut butter combo. You know, for the added protein. Yes, that’s why I do it. ;)
The topping possibilities for these Easy Whole Grain Chocolate Pancakes are endless, and I love the fun and ease of turning regular pancakes into a chocolate surprise.
I always have a big container of Homemade Pancake Mix on hand, so making a batch of these pancakes is even easier! Here’s how I make these:
Easy Whole Grain Chocolate Pancakes
- 1 cup whole grain flour (I use freshly ground hard white wheat)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- OR 1 Cup Pancake Mix**
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup cultured buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 egg
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter (or oil)
- Whisk together the ingredients until the batter is smooth.
- Cook pancakes on a well buttered, hot skillet or griddle, flipping once bubbles begin to form.
- Serve with real maple syrup, applesauce, jelly, fresh fruit, or any of your favorite pancake toppings.
Recipes for you!
Here are our favorite pancake toppings:
- Real Maple Syrup
- Apple Butter
- Blueberry Pancake and Waffle Syrup
- Peach Syrup (for pancakes and waffles)
- Peanut Butter (just peanuts!)
- Peanut Butter (super creamy – like Skippy or Jif)
- Raspberry Syrup
Resources for you!
- Do yourself a favor and order any of the Unsweetened Cocoa Powders from Olive Nation. (And use the code home to get 20% off!) I can’t tell you what a wonderful difference these cocoa powders have made in my chocolate recipes. The quality is MUCH better, and they do not cost more than I was spending on the lesser varieties. Rock on!
- Do you have our **Simple Mixes to Save the Day eBook yet? Grab it so you can save time and energy by using the Pancake Mix for this recipe!! I LOVE having these mixes on hand!!![wp_eStore_fancy1 id=27]
What are your favorite pancake toppings?