Pizza might be one of my favorite meals, so of course, we need to have Simple Homemade Pizza recipe options!
Confession: I order pizza more often than I used to now that we have little ones again. Ok, that’s not really a confession, it’s just truth, but I don’t actually feel that it needs to be confessed. As if ordering pizza is evil??
Sure, I don’t make every single thing from scratch anymore. Sure, not everything we eat is top-notch anymore. We still strive to eat nourishing foods so we can stay healthy. How else are we going to keep up with this tribe?! But God’s strength is bigger than ours, and that’s the real way we’re thriving through this journey.
So. I order pizza sometimes. Guilt-free. I praise God for this option on busy days I have to be at court hearings or team meetings while juggling littles and bigs.
Also, we eat it on paper plates. This is a beautiful thing.
Well anyway, pizza. The homemade kind. It truly tastes better, and we have fun building it to our liking. Here are my top three homemade pizza methods, from easiest to hardest. But the hardest way isn’t really hard, because do you even know me at all?
How to make simple homemade pizza
- Buy pre-made crusts. Keep them in your freezer. Add toppings and bake. SO EASY. Plus cheaper and better tasting than ordering pizza.
- Make crust from Stir and Pour Bread recipe. Flour your hands and press it onto a pan. Add toppings and bake. VERY EASY.
- Make Whole Wheat Pizza Crust, because it is the most delicious. Make crusts ahead and freeze them if you’re as ambitious as I used to be and may be again sometime. Add toppings and bake. STILL EASY.
Here are the crust recipes for you!
Stir-and-Pour Pizza Crust
- 4 cups whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground hard white wheat)
- 2 teaspoons active rise yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sucanat or sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups warm water
- Stir all ingredients together.
- Cover and allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
- Spread dough on two *well-buttered* large pizza pans (three if you want a thinner crust)
- Bake in a 375° oven for 10 minutes.
- Pull partially baked crust out of the oven and top it however you like.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes more or until cheese has melted and becomes bubbly.
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
- 5 cups whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground flour from hard white wheat)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4½ teaspoons active dry yeast (or 2 pouches)
- 2 cups warm water (The water should feel warm, but not hot.)
- Mix all ingredients together, knead for 3-4 minutes, then allow the dough to “rest” for about 10 minutes (give or take).
- This dough makes 2 large pizzas, or 18 mini pizzas.
- Shape dough into desired pizza sizes and place on baking sheets.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove crusts from oven, allow them to cool, then freeze in freezer bags.
- Or, top hot pizza crusts with desired pizza toppings.
- When you're ready, bake the pizzas at 375° for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.
What’s your favorite kind of pizza?