Do you need a change from regular sandwiches? I made these Simple Salmon Burgers for my family a few weeks ago and they were a huge hit!
Canned salmon is something I always have on hand but almost never use. It’s one of those things that is great to have in the pantry as a backup meal option – yet I forget to actually use it. Silly!
Recently I was challenging myself to use up food we had in an effort to save money so I pulled out two cans of salmon to make Salmon Patties. As I was cooking, I decided that the kids might eat them better in the form of a sandwich. So I spread mayo on hamburger buns, added the cooked salmon patties, and they were a hit!
Here’s a quick picture I snapped on my phone after I’d taken round one of the sandwiches out to the kids to eat. It was a beautiful day so they were enjoying lunch on the porch! Playing outside makes them extra hungry, so I hurried to finish another batch of burgers!
You can add cheese, pickles, extra lemon juice, sliced tomatoes, lettuce, guacomole – whatever you would like – to your sandwiches. I love how mild these taste, so even those of you who aren’t huge fans of fish may still enjoy these as a great meal option!
Simple Salmon Burgers
- 14-ounces canned salmon
- 1 egg
- ½ cup bread crumbs or crushed cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- oil for cooking (I use palm shortening or coconut oil)
- Buns and your favorite condiments
- In a bowl, mix together salmon, egg, bread crumbs and lemon juice.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet.
- Spoon balls of the salmon mixture into the oil, flatten and cook for about five minutes, turning once.
- When the salmon patties are golden brown, serve them on burger buns.
How great is it that you can make these Salmon Burgers for such a low cost! Serve them with fresh fruit and raw veggies and your meal is nourishing and delicious.