If these Simple Seasoned Potato Wedges are healthy to eat, they must be free of fat and flavor, right? Otherwise they couldn’t possibly be healthy, right? Wrong. It’s time to pull out the fryer, my friends.
I love that when made with good oils, fried food can be healthy. I mean, fried food tastes sooo good!
(Let’s be real. Don’t tell me you prefer fresh broccoli over fresh French fries. Okay then.)
No doubt, we need balance, and plenty of fresh green veggies too. But how sad to think we have to avoid chicken strips and French fries simply because they are fried.
Obviously, not all fried food is created equally – and many fried foods are unhealthy for our bodies. But the only thing that makes them unhealthy is the oil that they’re fried in. IF you fry your food in Coconut Oil or Palm Shortening/Oil – oils that can withstand high frying temperatures without compromising their health quality – you can enjoy fried food without guilt.
And I do mean enjoy. C’mon now, fresh French fries?? There’s almost nothing better.
If you don’t have a fryer, you can brush these Simple Seasoned Potato Wedges with oil and bake them in the oven, as they are super tasty that way too! I have and use this fryer, given to me by my men for Christmas several years ago. But either cooking method works great!
Make as many or as few as you would like, generally about one potato per person.
Simple Seasoned Potato Wedges
- Yukon gold potatoes (any potato variety works, but these taste much better!)
- Refined coconut oil or palm shortening
- Seasoned salt
- Wash and cut potatoes into 8-10 wedges each.
- Fry in hot oil for 6-10 minutes or until wedges are as crispy as you prefer.
- Remove from oil and sprinkle liberally with seasoned salt.
- OVEN METHOD:
- Melt coconut oil or palm shortening (about 1 Tablespoon per potato).
- Cut potatoes into wedges and spread them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
- Brush melted oil over each wedge.
- Sprinkle liberally with seasoned salt.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 25 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and crispy
Grab our Seasoned Salt recipe here. Otherwise, you can purchase some like this.
Not sure where to find healthy oils to use in frying? Here are some quick links:
- Organic Refined Coconut Oil (flavorless)
- Healthy Traditions Organic Palm Shortening or Spectrum Organic Palm Shortening
Want some tasty recipes to serve alongside your Potato Wedges?
- Simple Grilled Salmon
- Simple Sloppy Joes
- The Perfect Grilled Chicken
- Simple Crunchy Ranch Chicken Strips
- Simple Oven Fried Chicken
- Simple Honey Mustard Chicken Legs
- Simple Crock Pot BBQ Spareribs
- Simple Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken Legs
- Simple Chicken Cheeseballs with a Kick
- Make-Ahead Parmesan Burgers
- Cheese-Stuffed Burgers
- Cheddar Ranch Burgers
‘Fess up! What are your favorite fried foods?
Some of these links are my affiliate links.