Silly as it may be, I think this Simple Bran Muffin Recipe may be my favorite of all the muffins.
And trust, me, there are a lot of muffins. I have over 40 muffin recipes here, and many of them include chocolate chips or a cheesecake topping! So to say that these Bran Muffins are a favorite is saying something.
I believe it stems back to my college days when the cafeteria sometimes featured a muffin like this one. I didn’t love many of the cafeteria foods, but those muffins were a favorite and I always got excited when they were serving them!
These stir together easily and you can use any brand of Bran Flakes cereal you like!
Simple Bran Muffin Recipe
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar or rapadura
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 cups Bran Flakes cereal
- ? cup raisins (optional)
- Mix together flour, brown sugar, soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add egg, milk, and oil.
- Stir in cereal until well combined (along with raisins if you like)
- Scoop mixture into 12 paper-lined muffin tins.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-22 minutes or until muffins are golden brown.
One of my kids favorite ways to eat a muffin is if I cut them in half, smear butter on them, then warm them in our big air fryer. (We use our air fryer as a toaster oven as it works great to fill it with bread, bagels, or muffins and warm/toast them slightly. YUM!)
These taste great for breakfast, and also as a side dish with soup.
Are you an “add raisins to your muffins” kind of person or a “raisins don’t belong in muffins or cookies” kind of person? (Raisins are a no-go for me, except for snacks for the kids, ha!)