Looking for some fun activities to do with your kids this summer? I’ve enjoyed 22 summers with kids (and counting!), so I certainly have a few ideas to share! Stay tuned during the next few weeks as we provide all kinds of suggestions for making your summer with your kids meaningful. (Subscribe here so you won’t miss out!) Today’s idea: Make Ice Cream in 10 Minutes!
As I was remembering this fun summer activity idea, I decided it would be much more fun to do if we invited friends over to join us! So we sent out the invitation, got our supplies ready, and had a little Ice Cream Making Party!
By the way, we are SO CLOSE to final adoption day for Bonus Boy that I almost waited to post this so that I could show you his precious face. Soon and very soon he will officially be a Coppinger and then all stickers come off!
This “make ice cream in a bag” idea is one of those we always WANT to do, but never seem to get around to ACTUALLY doing. Somehow inviting friends to do it with us made it much more doable, you know? Afterward, the kids played and the moms visited. Bliss! And also, there was ice cream to eat, so double win!
Make Ice Cream in 10 Minutes!
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 droppers full of liquid stevia, or 3-4 Tablespoons real maple syrup, or 3-4 Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup rock salt or coarse sea salt
- quart and gallon sized freezer bags
- Measure cream, sweetener, and vanilla into a quart-sized freezer bag and seal.
- Fill a gallon-sized freezer bag half-full of ice.
- Add ½ cup rock salt to the ice.
- Place the sealed quart-sized bag filled with ice cream ingredients into the bag of ice and salt. Seal.
- Toss the bag back and forth, shaking and tossing for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens to ice cream.
- Remove the quart-sized bag and rinse the salt off.
- Open the bag, scoop out the ice cream, and enjoy!
We moms found that the ice cream shakers needed a little bit of help to get the mixture shaken vigorously enough to turn into ice cream! Also: be sure to do this activity outside!! The bags tend to get drippy. :)
Here are some of our other Simple Ice Cream Recipes.
Use any of these with the above Freezer Bag Toss idea!
- Low Sugar No-Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- Low Sugar No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream
- Low Sugar No-Churn Strawberry Ice Cream
- Low Sugar No-Churn Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Here’s to a great summer of fun with our kids! Here are other ideas we’ve shared so far: