Looking for some fun activities to do with your kids this summer? I’ve enjoyed 22 summers with kids (and counting!), so I certainly have a few ideas to share! Stay tuned during the next few weeks as we provide all kinds of suggestions for making your summer with your kids meaningful. (Subscribe here so you won’t miss out!) Today’s idea: Create Blessings for Father’s Day!
You may remember that we shared this list of Father’s Day gift ideas a couple of years ago. I’m going to re-share some of those great ideas, plus add some new ones too!
Create Blessings for Father’s Day
You and your kids are likely already thinking about how to bless the dads and grandpas in your lives. But what if you went a bit beyond these special men and talked about ways you can offer something special to those who may be overlooked?
- Men in nursing homes
- Someone who has suffered a difficult year because of illness, loss, unemployment, etc.
OR, how about doing something special for someone who has gone above and beyond for your kids?
- Church Elders
Pray with your kids about this!
Allow God to bring people to mind or to open your eyes to men who would love to be the recipient of your Father’s Day blessing this year. What a wonderful way to serve alongside your children – to teach them to see others and to think beyond themselves!
And while I’m writing this, I have in mind that moms and kids will do this together – but here’s what might be even better!! What if kids and dads spend time on this special “project” as a way to celebrate Father’s Day? Dads serving with their kids is a beautiful thing! Or perhaps you can all do this as an entire family.
Pray, and let the Spirit lead you toward what Father’s Day can look like for you and your family as you look to be a blessing to others.
Cookies for Father’s Day
One of the simplest ways to bless special men in your lives this Father’s Day is to hand them a card and a plate of cookies. Want some great recipe ideas? I can probably come up with one or two. ;)
- Butterscotch Bars
- Caramel Brownies
- Cheesecake Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Monster Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – no flour!
- Oatmeal Butterscotch Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Apple Cookie Bars
- Peanut Butter Brownie Cups
- Very Vanilla Cookies
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The BEST Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Wait, you ask. Are these really THE BEST Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies? Yes, I’m afraid it’s true. We’ve tried all the others. These are the best. ;)
Now it’s time to think beyond cookies!
(Mostly) Free Ideas for gifting Dad, Grandpa, or others
Ready to get those kids serving and caring for the men in their lives? But hoping to spend little to no money? How about these ideas!
- Write a letter (25 things I like about you, or top 10 favorite memories).
- Create a hand-drawn picture of the two of you doing something together.
- Put together a photo album of pictures of you and Dad (or the special friend).
- Print your favorite picture of the two of you and put it in a frame.
- Vacuum and wash his car or truck.
- Present coupons to help him organize and clean the garage, his workshop or his office.
- Present coupons for cleaning out his car, washing his car, or doing his share of the mowing.
- Offer coupons for a batch of his favorite cookies or his favorite meal.
Gifts for Men That Cost $25 or Less
If you have it in your budget, here are some great gift ideas that dad, grandpa, or others might love!
- Single Hammock
- Color-Coded Roasting Sticks
- Two Person Tent
- Biolite Portable Light If you need to do things in the dark, the USB will also operate this light. NO batteries, no electricity required.
- MLB Team Logo Baseball You choose the team!
- Equipment Backpack
- Coffee Mug
- Light-Up Football So you can play in the dark!
- Parking Sign You choose the team.
- 3D Puzzle (like Legos) NFL team characters You choose the character.
3 for Golf
- Golf Scope
- Golf Ball Pick Up Tool
For Fishing and hunting
- Portable Fish Scale with Measuring Tape
- Cross Body Tackle Bag
For all Sports Fans
- Chair with its own shade
- 3-in-1 Laser Level, tape measure and bubble level with ruler
- Leatherman Multi-Tool
- Telescoping Magnet – Great for picking up spilled nails, screws and such!
- Nice Work Gloves
- Survival Kit
- For Dads with a Sense of Humor
- For Dads with Gas and a Sense of Humor
- Me and Mini-Me Set
- For a Star Wars Fan
- Awesome Dad
- New Dad
Fun Outdoor Games for Dad (and the Entire Family!)
- Lawn Bowling
- Yard Dice
- Ladder Ball
- Washer Toss
- Ring Toss
- Frisbee Golf (Disc Golf) Set
- Floating Pong
Make a Meal!
What if you and the kids invite special men in your lives (and/or those who may often eat alone) over to your home for a meal? Get those kids into the kitchen with you! Let them help plan what food to serve, prepare the food, and clean up afterward. There is so much joy in working together to serve others!
Here are some great main dish ideas you might choose from:
- Chicken Fried Steak Strips
- Barbeque Brisket
- Alfredo Sauce with Pasta
- Cheddar Ranch Burgers
- Cheesy Salsa Enchiladas
- Grilled Barbeque Chicken
- Italian Cream Cheese Chicken
- Last Minute Creamy Bacon Spaghetti
- Skillet Taco Pasta
- Simple Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Simple Crock Pot BBQ Spareribs
- Simple Overnight Saucy Crock Pot Chicken
- Simple Overnight Melt-in-Your-Mouth Beef Roast
- Simple Oven Fried Chicken
- Simple Honey Mustard Chicken Legs
Serve these with a salad, a veggie, a fruit, and a special dessert! The men in your life will love it!
What other ideas do you have to work with your kids to create a blessing for someone this Father’s Day?
Here’s to a great summer of fun with our kids! Here are other ideas we’ve shared so far:
- Make Donuts!
- Have a Reading Party!
- Make Smoothies, Milkshakes, and Popsicles
- Go Apple, Berry, or Peach Picking
Stay tuned for more fun Summer Kid Activity ideas!