This Chocolate Pumpkin Cake is so good, I decided to repost it so you would be sure to see it and try it this fall!
I love any treat that includes ingredients healthy enough for us to serve for breakfast.
What? Cake for breakfast? Oh yes. All year long. And since this one includes pumpkin, it’s a step above. #veggiecake
Of course, the pumpkin in this recipe makes it super moist. And the chocolate in this recipe? Well, that makes it chocolate. Need I say more?
You’ll love that this cake is topped with a thin layer of Honey-Sweetened Chocolate Frosting. Sigh…while I sure do love summer best, NOTHING can beat fall baking!!
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
- 1 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup sucanat
- dash of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sucanat, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Set aside. In a saucepan, bring oil, water, and cocoa to a boil.
- Pour liquid mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredient mixture.
- Stir well.
- Add pumpkin puree and eggs, mixing well.
- Pour batter into a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
Low Sugar Chocolate Frosting
- ½ cup butter
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2-4 Tablespoons honey (sweeten this to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan combine butter, cocoa, milk, and honey.
- Cook and stir over low heat until ingredients are well combined and mixture begins to thicken slightly.
- Removed from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Spread over cooled cake.
Do you love fall baking like I do? Will you be eating this cake for breakfast? :)