This Simple Creamy Chicken Soup is the definition of comfort food.
Hmmmm. Actually, the definition of comfort food (I just looked it up) is: food that provides consolation or a feeling of well-being, typically any with a high sugar or other carbohydrate content and associated with childhood or home cooking.
I believe I have just re-defined comfort food. No longer must it be associated with a high sugar or carb content. Certainly not in the case of this Creamy Chicken Soup. We can associate it with home cooking (because we will be at home, cooking it) and it is likely that your children will someday associate it with their childhood.
But there is no pasta or potato involved in the making of this soup to make it high in carbs. Add some if you like. I’m personally in it for the chicken and the cheese. I find it delightfully comforting.
Simple Creamy Chicken Soup
- 1-2 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 10-ounce can Rotel
- 32-ounces (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8-ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups shredded Colby jack or cheddar cheese
- Place chicken, Rotel, broth, salt, and paprika into an Instant Pot or Crock Pot
- For Instant Pot: Seal and cook on manual at high pressure for 15 minutes. Quick release.
- For Crock Pot: Cook ingredients on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from Crock Pot or Instant Pot. Shred it and put it back into the pot.
- Stir in cream cheese, cream, and shredded cheese until smooth.
- Serve with frozen corn sprinkled in if desired
I added a carb by sprinkling frozen corn into our soup to cool it and sweeten it. So I guess this meets the definition of comfort food after all!
Don’t have an Instant Pot? I have and love this one.
Simple Real Food Recipes
- Simple Baked Salmon and Asparagus
- Simple Crock Pot Chicken Soup with a Kick
- Simple Skillet Taco Pasta
- Last-Minute Lentil Chili
- Simple Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken Legs
- 20-Minute Taco Soup
- Simple Cheesy Baked Chicken
- Simple Creamy Chicken Stew in the Crock Pot
- Simple Italian Beef and Broccoli Skillet
- Simple Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Simple Hawaiian Crock Pot Chicken
- Simple Taco Rice Dinner
- Simple Last Minute Nacho Plate
- Simple Chicken Cheeseballs with a Kick
- Simple Beanie Weanies
- Simple Crock Pot BBQ Spareribs
- Simple Pizza Chicken Bake
- Simple Italian Chicken and Green Bean Bake
- Last Minute Creamy Bacon Spaghetti
- Simple Hamburger Soup
- Simple Parmesan Broiled Fish
- Simple Overnight Saucy Crock Pot Chicken
- Simple 15-Minute Meal
- Simple Overnight Melt-in-Your-Mouth Beef Roast
- Simple 3-Cheese Crock Pot Pasta
- Simple Oven Fried Chicken
- Simple Honey Mustard Chicken Legs
- The Easiest Mashed Potatoes in the World
- Simple Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Simple Crunchy Ranch Chicken Strips
- Simple Crock Pot Shredded Ranch Chicken (for salad or tacos)
- Simple Crock Pot Pizza Casserole
- Simple Barbecue Beef Roast
- Simple Spanish Rice Bowls
- Simple Roasted Rotiserie Chicken
- Simple Green Chile Chicken
- Simple Tex-Mex Creamy Chicken
- Simple Waffle Omelets
- Simple Crock Pot Taco Pasta
- Simple Grilled Chicken
- Simple Hawaiian Beef Roast
- Simple Crock Pot Creamy Stew Meat
- Simple Cheese Stuffed Burgers
- Simple Hashbrown Casserole (For Instant Pot, Crock Pot or Oven!)
- Simple Lasagna Casserole (For Instant Pot or Crock Pot)
- Simple Chili Mac
- Simple Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
- From Burrito Bar to Casserole (a 5-Minute Meal!)
- Simple Bacon Cheeseburger Roll
- Simple Garlic Parmesan Chicken Legs
- Super Simple Lasagna
- The Simplest White Chicken Chili
- Simple Lentil Nachos
- Simple Tuna Patties
- Simple Banana Pancakes
- Simple Crock Pot Applesauce BBQ Chicken
- Simple Hashbrown and Egg Nests
- Simple Cornbread Waffles with Chili
- Simple Veggie Fritters
- Simple Lemon Garlic Chicken Legs
- Simple Noodle Soup
- Simple Three Cheese Spaghetti
- Simple Crock Pot Salsa Shredded Beef
- Cheeseburger Hashbrown Cups or Casserole
- Easiest Beef Roast in the Instant Pot
- Simple One-Dish Chicken Florentine
- Simple Creamy Layered Enchiladas
- Simple Ham and Hashbrown Casserole
- 5-Minute Cheesy Hamburger and Potatoes
- Simple 10-Minute Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Join Simple Meals!
We love how Simple Meals has been saving family time for so many, and helping people put great food on the table each night! Join us for just $1/week!
Some of the links in this post are my affiliate links.
Can I cook this with frozen chicken breasts? How would I adjust the recipe? Thanks!
I don’t have any Rotel on hand, but I’m thinking I’ll just substitute salsa. This sounds tasty!
Julie Jacks says
The soup is great but very rich. A little too rich for my kids with the cream cheese block, whipping cream and cheese. I’m going to make it again without adding the creamy ingredient. The broth was delicious and I used chipotle flavored Rotel.
Bethany Lotulelei says
Using chipotle flavored Rotel sounds like a great idea! Let us know how the second batch turns out. :-)
-Bethany (Laura’s assistant)