Simple Lentil Nachos is a don’t plan ahead, don’t thaw meat, don’t worry about dinner recipe! If only all meals could be this easy. Oh, and it’s also a don’t spend much money recipe. High fives all around.
Welcome to the first recipe in our Simple Meals on a Simple Budget series!
Watch for more recipes like this all month long. :)
Now you know me. I’m a meat-lovin’ girl, living in a household of meat-lovin’ men, all of whom are athletes who need large amounts of protein every day. So I always cringe just a little bit when discussing “meatless recipes” because while I love that this is a great way to save money, I don’t love how unsatisfied meatless meals leave my sons. They love carbs and can eat potatoes until the cows come home, but well, they definitely need the cows to come home. And then they need said cows to land on their plates in the form of a roast or a patty.
But this is what I’ve learned: While it doesn’t work well to go meatless for an entire day at my house, it certainly is possible to offer one or two meatless meal every couple of days. As long as I try to balance our meatless meals with plenty that are meaty, and as long as our meatless meals are still full of protein, we do okay.
Phew, kind of sounds like we’re high maintenance around here. Nope. Just hungry. Hungry, hungry, hungry.
So…Simple Lentil Nachos. This recipe is ridiculously easy so brace yourself for the simplicity. It’s also relatively boring if not dressed up with tasty toppings. But rest assured, once you’ve filled your bowl with all that you love, scooping this onto a chip is actually quite good!
Here’s how simple it is to make Lentil Nachos:
1) Cook lentils (which is, by the way, effortless).
2) Add salsa and salt.
3) Serve in a bowl with your favorite nacho fixins.
4) The end.
Don’t tell all the other beans, but lentils have become my favorite legume because of how effortless they are to prepare. No need to plan ahead or soak. Just boil and serve.
Simple Lentil Nachos
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 2½ cups water
- 16-ounces salsa
- Your favorite nacho toppings like cheese, olives, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, and onions
- Your favorite tortilla chips
- In a medium-sized saucepan, stir together lentils and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in salsa, heating for an additional 2 minutes.
- Serve mixture with tortilla chips and your favorite nacho toppings
Start your new year off right by becoming a Simple Meals member! Every week we’ll send you a great menu plan full of Simple Recipes like this one. We’ll equip you with a grocery list. We’ll break everything down so that your meal prep is as simple as possible. We’ll give you bonus tips and recipes and freebies. And this is all for just $1 each week. You’ll love it!
Want more Simple Recipes?
- Simple Baked Salmon and Asparagus
- Simple Crock Pot Chicken Soup with a Kick
- Simple Skillet Taco Pasta
- Last-Minute Lentil Chili
- Simple Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken Legs
- 20-Minute Taco Soup
- Simple Cheesy Baked Chicken
- Simple Creamy Chicken Stew in the Crock Pot
- Simple Italian Beef and Broccoli Skillet
- Simple Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Simple Hawaiian Crock Pot Chicken
- Simple Taco Rice Dinner
- Simple Last Minute Nacho Plate
- Simple Chicken Cheeseballs with a Kick
- Simple Beanie Weanies
- Simple Crock Pot BBQ Spareribs
- Simple Pizza Chicken Bake
- Simple Italian Chicken and Green Bean Bake
- Last Minute Creamy Bacon Spaghetti
- Simple Hamburger Soup
- Simple Parmesan Broiled Fish
- Simple Overnight Saucy Crock Pot Chicken
- Simple 15-Minute Meal
- Simple Overnight Melt-in-Your-Mouth Beef Roast
- Simple 3-Cheese Crock Pot Pasta
- Simple Oven Fried Chicken
- Simple Honey Mustard Chicken Legs
- The Easiest Mashed Potatoes in the World
- Simple Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Simple Crunchy Ranch Chicken Strips
- Simple Crock Pot Shredded Ranch Chicken (for salad or tacos)
- Simple Crock Pot Pizza Casserole
- Simple Barbecue Beef Roast
- Simple Spanish Rice Bowls
- Simple Roasted Rotiserie Chicken
- Simple Green Chile Chicken
- Simple Tex-Mex Creamy Chicken
- Simple Waffle Omelets
- Simple Crock Pot Taco Pasta
- Simple Grilled Chicken
- Simple Hawaiian Beef Roast
- Simple Crock Pot Creamy Stew Meat
- Simple Cheese Stuffed Burgers
- Simple Hashbrown Casserole (For Instant Pot, Crock Pot or Oven!)
- Simple Lasagna Casserole (For Instant Pot or Crock Pot)
- Simple Chili Mac
- Simple Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
- From Burrito Bar to Casserole (a 5-Minute Meal!)
- Simple Bacon Cheeseburger Roll
- Simple Garlic Parmesan Chicken Legs
- Super Simple Lasagna
- The Simplest White Chicken Chili
And dinner, done. Thanks!
Some of the most awesome athletes in the world are all meatless, all the time. Just saying.
Yes, including ultramarathoners!
This is so fascinating to me since our family craves meat so much!! :)