Is it possible? Am I actually going to present you with a Tator Tot Casserole? Yes, and I feel no shame. I have purchased the tator tots and I have put them onto a casserole and I am sharing the recipe with you here today.
I was able to simply adapt the original recipe I was given many years ago to turn it into a mostly “real food recipe.” No cream of mushroom soup here! Still just as delicious. Everything in this casserole is wholesome and good. But the tator tots on top? I dumped them right out of the bag and I ignored the ingredient list and well, that is all. I just did.
Remember that one time I experimented and came up with a way to make Homemade Tator Tots? Who even was that girl anyway? She sure was ambitious! And fun and creative. But now? Well, I just don’t spend my time making tedious recipes anymore. And typically I don’t use packaged ingredients in recipes. But I got a hankering for my childhood favorite Tator Tot Casserole and I just went for it!
Tator tots aside, everything else in this recipe is created from whole foods and great ingredients. They are likely ingredients you already have on hand, which makes this a simple and fun meal to serve your family.
This recipe freezes well, so while you’re making one Tator Tot Casserole, you might as well make two or three. Then you can freeze the extras for a meal on a busy day!
Simple Tator Tot Casserole
- 1½ - 2 pounds hamburger meat
- 1 medium onion or 3 Tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt to taste (we find it takes quite a lot of this good salt to provide good flavor in this meal!)
- 4 cups cooked green beans
- 3 cups sour cream
- 3 cups shredded cheese (we use Colby jack)
- 3 cups tator tots
- Brown hamburger meat with onion, garlic, and salt.
- Mix cooked meat with green beans and sour cream and spread mixture into a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Spread shredded cheese over the mixture.
- Top with frozen tator tots.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
Want More Simple Recipes?
We’ve got a huge list, and it keeps growing!
- Simple Baked Salmon and Asparagus
- Simple Crock Pot Chicken Soup with a Kick
- Simple Skillet Taco Pasta
- Last-Minute Lentil Chili
- Simple Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken Legs
- 20-Minute Taco Soup
- Simple Cheesy Baked Chicken
- Simple Creamy Chicken Stew in the Crock Pot
- Simple Italian Beef and Broccoli Skillet
- Simple Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Simple Hawaiian Crock Pot Chicken
- Simple Taco Rice Dinner
- Simple Last Minute Nacho Plate
- Simple Chicken Cheeseballs with a Kick
- Simple Beanie Weanies
- Simple Crock Pot BBQ Spareribs
- Simple Pizza Chicken Bake
- Simple Italian Chicken and Green Bean Bake
- Last Minute Creamy Bacon Spaghetti
- Simple Hamburger Soup
- Simple Parmesan Broiled Fish
- Simple Overnight Saucy Crock Pot Chicken
- Simple 15-Minute Meal
- Simple Overnight Melt-in-Your-Mouth Beef Roast
- Simple 3-Cheese Crock Pot Pasta
- Simple Oven Fried Chicken
- Simple Honey Mustard Chicken Legs
- The Easiest Mashed Potatoes in the World
- Simple Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Simple Crunchy Ranch Chicken Strips
- Simple Crock Pot Shredded Ranch Chicken (for salad or tacos)
- Simple Crock Pot Pizza Casserole
- Simple Barbecue Beef Roast
- Simple Spanish Rice Bowls
- Simple Roasted Rotiserie Chicken
- Simple Green Chile Chicken
- Simple Tex-Mex Creamy Chicken
- Simple Waffle Omelets
- Simple Crock Pot Taco Pasta
- Simple Grilled Chicken
- Simple Hawaiian Beef Roast
- Simple Crock Pot Creamy Stew Meat
- Simple Cheese Stuffed Burgers
- Simple Hashbrown Casserole (For Instant Pot, Crock Pot or Oven!)
- Simple Lasagna Casserole (For Instant Pot or Crock Pot)
- Simple Chili Mac
- Simple Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
- From Burrito Bar to Casserole (a 5-Minute Meal!)
- Simple Bacon Cheeseburger Roll
- Simple Garlic Parmesan Chicken Legs
- Super Simple Lasagna
- The Simplest White Chicken Chili
- Simple Lentil Nachos
- Simple Tuna Patties
- Simple Banana Pancakes
- Simple Crock Pot Applesauce BBQ Chicken
- Simple Hashbrown and Egg Nests
- Simple Cornbread Waffles with Chili
- Simple Veggie Fritters
- Simple Lemon Garlic Chicken Legs
- Simple Noodle Soup
- Simple Three Cheese Spaghetti
- Simple Crock Pot Salsa Shredded Beef
- Cheeseburger Hashbrown Cups or Casserole
- Easiest Beef Roast in the Instant Pot
- Simple One-Dish Chicken Florentine
- Simple Creamy Layered Enchiladas
- Simple Ham and Hashbrown Casserole
- 5-Minute Cheesy Hamburger and Potatoes
- Simple 10-Minute Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Simple Creamy Chicken Soup
- Simple Broccoli Bacon Chicken
- Simple Cheesy Salsa Chicken
Join Simple Meals!
We love how Simple Meals has been saving family time for so many, and helping people put great food on the table each night! Join us for just $1/week!